Lyndsay's World

Monday, October 09, 2006

The Lost Paris Blog

ok found my notebook:

Well we arrived in Paris safely with only a few gliches. Major glich was me not being able to find my passport. I had gotten off work at 3 pm hoping to leave the flat by 4 but my frantic search for the one thing I absolutly needed to leave the country set us back a few minutes (like 15-20). We did our best to race to the airport going up and down steps with a huge duffle bag (much to the chagrin of the our fellow undergrounders. Well with all that rushing we ended up waiting around anyways - go figure.
Our hostel is not too ba, not the best I have ever been in but it beats the heck out of the castrophe that was the broken down ship hostel (of Amsterdam fame). I do not know who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to engineer a building do the shower, toilet and sink are in three different parts of the floorbut most hostels seemed to have adopted this floor plan. Maybe it is a Feng Shui thing.
Weather has been a pain since the things I like to do in Paris most are outside things. So no sitting out in the park with wine and cheese this trip (booo). At the moment writing in my notebook drinking wine (a common theme yes I know)at a cafe looking at all the people who like me just want to enjoy their limited stay in this great city. My umbrella broke as well so instead of following Joanna around the tourist trap shops I will just sit here and enjoy sitting and watching. Really just a good excuse to relax a bit.
Oh man the walking!! Paris really expects you to be fit. Yesterday Joanna probably walked 14 hours straight. We did so much walking all along the river and through the city. We have gotten lost tons of times so it has taken some time to get back to the path in which we were meant to be on...but that is half the adventure right?

We went to the Louve yesterday and saw all the greats...we did the fast track version since we only had a few hours till it closed and it is one of the biggest places I have ever seen. SO we saw Venus DeMilo, Mona Lisa, Wnged Victory, some DiVinci, some Rembrant, some French and Greek Sculptures etc etc .... it never ends!
I suggest they have a day (preferably a day when i am there) when each visitor can take one piece of art or painting of their choice. I think I should pitch this idea to the curators, they would love it I am sure. You may be thinking I am crazy but have you seen the size of some of this paintings?? It would take our whole family to carry out one of the massive paintings, like ants carry a cookie crumb. A small family will have to be satisfied with something small like a crown or a chair or something ... still not too bad.

I usually think Parisians are nice but I did encounter a few of the rude french. I tried to buy tickets for a science/nature museum at the Grand Palais and I asked the lady "Vous parlez Anglais?" which is how you say "You speak English". Well the death stare I got was fierce! We stared at eachother before she gave me an 'of course you stupid English person' look and proceeded to tell me it would all be in french so I wouldn't understand it. How Rude! We were not impressed.

I cannot decide if I like Paris or London better - they are both so different in there greatness. I like the idea of learning and conversing in another language here in Paris but it does get frustrating.

Well that is it for now, I will just continue to sit and enjoy the rain and the wine.
Talk to you soon!
Love Lynds

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home